Advice and support for owners, technical managers, designers and shipyards
STRUCTURAL DESIGN AND OPTIMISATION
Using HyperWorks and OptiStruct
IN SERVICE SUPPORT SERVICES
- Steel renewal assessments & assessment procedures
- Docking assessments & specifications
- Project Management
- Vessel upgrade specifications
NEWBUILDING OWNERS REPRESENTATION
- Plan Approval and Site management
- Shipyard review & Audits
HyperMesh is the next generation FE modeling tool that's becoming the standard for the maritime industry.
Building FE models of ships and offshore structures have always been a significant challenge faced by maritime professionals. It is the bottleneck for making simulations effective to meet the increasing requirements from new regulations.
Altair has the most efficient and robust modeling technology for the maritime industry to overcome this challenge. It ensures rapid and high quality generation of full-ship and offshore structure FE models.
- Seamlessly read and write data from all the common commercial CAD systems and CAE solvers and easily customize to any non-standard or proprietary CAD or simulation solver
- Specially designed interfaces with common marine CAD systems such as AVEVA Marine, FORAN and Smart Marine
- Quickly create, repair, clean up and idealize geometries based on rules
- Rapidly refine coarse global models to build detailed models for fatigue analysis with required mesh quality and mesh patterns
- Automatically extract, extend, trim and stitch surfaces from complex 3D CAD
- Get the mesh right the first time with high quality optimized meshing tools
- Automated mesh generation for 1D, 2D and 3D models using the BatchMesher
- Easily handle large models with millions of elements
Structural and CFD Optimization
Altair leads the world in optimization technologies, which have been applied in many different industries over the decades.
Maritime professionals can derive optimum solutions that meet design requirements with the minimum possible material mass and welding effort. This results in a ship that is less expensive to manufacture and maintain. Maritime professionals also can optimize the hull shape to reduce water resistance while increase fuel efficiency and minimize operational cost.
- Create efficient vessel and structure design using topology optimization to discover designs with better stress distributions and longer fatigue life with the award-winning structural optimization tool, OptiStruct
- Optimize the thickness of steel plates and size plate stiffeners automatically across the whole ship by using size and shape optimization in OptiStruct
- Reduce water resistance to cut fuel costs by using the optimization tool, HyperStudy, together with the CFD solver, AcuSolve
- Decrease weld length and fabrication cost through structural optimization
- Quickly determine optimum composite ply layups and orientations for navy vessel and boat structures by using the most advanced composite optimization capability in OptiStruct
HyperWorks offers comprehensive solvers to meet marine vessel engineering simulation needs.
OptiStruct, RADIOSS, AcuSolve and FEKO help maritime engineers meet classification societies’ requirements and answer owners’ concerns through simulation with a variety of linear, nonlinear, thermal, fluid-structure interaction, CFD, and electromagnetic problems to ensure marine vessels’ safety, reliability, and durability.
- OptiStruct, a modern and more accurate alternative to NASTRAN, can resolve all the typical problems in strength, stress, vibration & noise, bulking, fatigue and thermal analysis.
- Accurately simulate complex physics problems, such as ship collision, sloshing, slamming and underwater explosions with RADIOSS’ multi-physics capabilities.
- As a comprehensive electromagnetics code, FEKO is considered as the global market leader for antenna placement analysis. It is widely used in naval engineering for most EM issues like radiation pattern analysis of communication antennas, the placement of antennas, antenna coupling or interference, and near-field radiation hazards.
- Based on the Finite Element Method, AcuSolve is a robust and scalable general-purpose CFD solver that empowers users by providing unparalleled accuracy on fully unstructured meshes. It is a fully coupled solver on shared-memory and distributed parallel systems that is highly accurate in space and time.
Customization and Automation
To achieve the goal of creating a safer, greener and smarter maritime industry, regulations have been reinforced with even tighter requirements which involves more simulations. Additionally increased global competition requires a faster and more efficient ship design and certification process to shorten the turnaround time and reduce cost. This makes efficient handling of many large scaled complex FE-models with vast numbers of complicated loads and multitudes of fatigue check points a key challenge for the industry.
The Altair engineering team has extensive experience leveraging our process automation and data management technology for many top shipyards and classification societies to assist them in developing efficient and automated custom tools and programs that meet specific customer needs and speed up the verification and certification process.
Altair process automation technologies enable maritime engineers to dramatically improve efficiency and capture corporate best practices and industry standards for certifications. It can automate and standardize repetitive modeling and processing tasks including:
- Import, organize and idealize geometry
- Mesh generation for beam, shell and solid elements
- Welds and connections
- Loads and boundary conditions
- Property and material associations
- Post-processing and reporting